Sunday 15 July 2012

Trying something new - my first canvas!


I decided to try something a bit different, as I've got plenty of cards to keep me going for a bit... Saw this idea on Hels' blog, mini canvases decorated... and thought I'd give it a go!

I decided to use canvas board instead of proper canvases.. they were cheaper (for a first attempt!) and the size was better for what I was looking for... tho I'm still thinking about how to make it hangable.. going to have to visit a hardware store methinks! Any tips gratefully received!

This is a canvas for a friends' birthday. We work together, and I've never known someone to drink so much tea.. so I know this will give her a giggle! Purple is also her favourite colour.


So, I started by covering the canvas in three coats of gesso.. wasn't really sure how many to use, so figured three seemed like a lucky number. It did seem to work, but it was still tacky this morning after leaving it overnight to dry... so perhaps I'll try two coats next time ;)

I then blended pink and purple distress inks over the top.. it is lovely to do, much easier than on card as the inks really move around and don't get absorbed. I then overstamped with some purple chicken wire in the middle (mostly behind the sentiment), and some script in white at the top and bottom of the board. I left it a couple of hours to dry but it was still very tacky and the inks weren't really drying so I dumped a load of clear embossing powder on and sealed the whole thing with that.. worked a treat, and it's lovely and shiny too.

Stamped four images (some in distress and some in archival) from the tea set from here, and coloured in various distress inks, fussy cut and stuck down. I really love the tea sentiment, would use it on everything I made if I could!!

The sentiment was stamped and coloured then popped up on a faux chipboard shape made by stacking die cuts (tip picked up from Vicky's blog), and then embossed the edges in silver for a bit more shine.


Tied a ribbon in the lace, and stuck it down.. the flower at the bottom is created from three different shop bought flowers, metal one as the middle layer. There is also a frame shape cut out of an aluminium can stuck at the back behind the cup.


And that was about it!

I've already started on the next one. They're not really a style I'm particularly comfortable with so it's great to try some new things and just see what happens! I'm planning to make one for my sister with a butterfly theme, one for my mum with a birds theme, and I like the idea of making a couple for the flat - perhaps a "bathroom" plaque with rubber ducks and bubbles... or a "kitchen" plaque with food and stuff on.. you get the gist. We'll see!

So I'm entering this for a few challenges...

Hels' Sunday Stampers - Embellishments
Anything Goes Challenge - Lavender and Lace
Saturday Challenge - Food and Drink
Stamp Man - Anything Goes - Summer Colours
Totally Papercrafts - Lots of Layers

11 comments:

  1. what a gorgeous creation and just perfect for our challenge at the Secret Crafter Saturday Challenge, thank you for joining us this week
    Hugs Kate xx
    ps I have candy if you are interested :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caramba - this is just fabulous M. I'll be watching with interest to see what's next - clever you. Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous M and your description of your friend is just like me! Purple and tea! Are you sure it is not for me?!
    I use those canvas boards alot and they cut great into four for ATCs!
    To hang them, why not punch out two holes and then use wire. Maybe some ribbon to "fluff" the holes? Just a thought (it is what I have done in some of mine!)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. fabulous project! love the effect! thanks for joining us at Totally Papercrafts.
    Kim x

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh this is just gorgeous really beautiful,bless you for playing at anything goes,this week hugs Cherylxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful lavender creation - and I'm sure you'll come up with something to hang it by.

    Thanks for joining in the challenge at Anything Goes.... hope to see you again soon.

    Hugs
    Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi M! This is stunning, I love all of the different elements it looks very vintage and pretty. Well done! Thanks for your lovely comments on my blog :)
    Laura xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. VERY impressive M and a brilliant idea for gifts that you can really personalise! Glad the faux chipboard tip was useful! Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous canvas, love the colours and the background looks awesome ! Thanks for joining us at The Stamp Man. Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous canvas...I love purple!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Er.. . . how good is that?? I love it and there's so much to go back and look at. Think you may have found the start of something new and very productive!!
    Juliax

    ReplyDelete